With the Tokyo Olympics fast approaching, there’s a huge focus on health and keeping your body in peak condition. After all, who else but the pinnacle of athletic prowess compete in the Olympics. Well, this year someone you might not expect is participating: Kane Tanaka, at 118-years old she is the world’s oldest person. Tanaka will be pushed by her family in a wheelchair carrying the Olympic torch through her home province of Shime in the prefecture of Fukuoka. She says she is determined to make the final few steps carrying the torch herself out of the wheelchair, especially since her family recently gave her a new pair of running shoes as a birthday present so she’s ready!
Tanaka says she still loves fizzy drinks, and her great-granddaughter created a Twitter account to share photos and messages from Tanaka, including her drinking soda and eating cake. Two things that most would think are key to avoid if you want to live to reach 118 years old! Here are some tips to living a long, healthy life.
- Find a pastime: having something to keep your mind occupied, reduce stress, and give a sense of accomplishment
- Space out work: if you have time and means take a vacation! It’s important to give yourself time off from work, which will lower stress and lower your risk of heart disease!
- Make sure you get a full 7 to 8 hours of sleep a day. Sleeping can become harder as you get older, but it’s one of the healthiest things you can do to give yourself longevity.
- Socialize! Studies have shown that people with extended friend groups and social relationships are 45% less likely to die before reaching the average age.
- Exercise and be physically active! Life expectancy for people that are physically active for at least 150 minutes a week is increased by about 7 years.
- Stop smoking. One in five deaths a year in the USA are attributed and linked to smoking, and the life expectancy of a smoker is at least 10 years shorter than that of a non-smoker.
It is never too early to start getting your life in order to live a long, healthy life. You can try out our supplements to help keep you healthy and have a balanced set of nutrients and vitamins with BodyK’s Active B Trio supplement or with Micellized Vitamin A supplement for immune support. Another service we have available here at BodyK is our Wellness Coaching which will provide you with different ways to improve your health after a brief consult.