Most people worry about aging as they get older, but according to a Duke University study it’s never too early to begin living a life that’ll support longevity. This study shows that there are many factors, besides genetics, that can be directly addressed to slow down your body’s aging process. Here are 8 ways to slow down aging:
- Regular exercise. A study in Aging Cell shows that older people that have regularly exercised during their life have muscle mass, cholesterol levels, and the immune system of someone much younger.
- Eat whole foods and avoid processed foods. Here’s a list of food that experts say will combat aging.
- Eating a plant-based diet has been shown to slow down aging. A Mediterranean diet is a great example of a plant-based diet that still incorporates meat and animal products.
- Making sure your diet has enough protein. As you get older, your diet needs to incorporate more protein to offset “the elevated metabolism of inflammatory conditions such as heart failure, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), or chronic kidney disease” as well as many other bodily problems.
- Stay outside and absorb the sunshine! The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition has put forth a study that women with higher vitamin D concentrations have longer telomeres, the caps on the ends of DNA cells that determine a cell’s lifespan. You can also make sure you get enough vitamin D through your diet or supplements.
- Avoid gerontogens also known as aging toxins. These are toxins that speed up the process of aging. Some examples are BPA, a toxin in plastic, and cigarette smoke.
- Pay attention to your dental health! Poor tooth brushing habits have been linked to cardiovascular disease, stroke, and diabetes. Here are some dental care tips from the National Institute of Aging.
- Maintain gut health! A study out of Japan has linked gut health to dementia. Roughly 70% of your immune system resides inside your gut, so maintaining its health is one of the best ways to stay consistently healthy.
It is never too early to start getting your life in order to live a long, healthy life. You can try out our supplements to help keep you healthy and have a balanced set of nutrients and vitamins with BodyK’s Active B Trio supplement or with Micellized Vitamin A supplement for immune support. Another service we have available here at BodyK is our Wellness Coaching which will provide you with different ways to improve your health after a brief consult.