Many people have trouble either getting enough sleep, getting too much sleep, or falling asleep. Consumer Reports surveyed over 4,000 American adults about their sleeping habits. They learned that 27% of the responses said they have trouble falling or staying asleep most nights, while 68% of the responses said they have trouble falling or staying asleep at least once a week. That’s an estimated 164 million people in the US alone! Here are 7 ways that can help you get a good night’s sleep.
- Schedule your sleep. Here are some tips to getting on a healthy sleep schedule. Make sure you go to sleep at the same time every night and wake up at the same time every morning.
- Do something relaxing before you go to sleep. Read a book, do some light stretching, listen to some music, or take a bath. If you have trouble falling asleep after 20-30 minutes then get out of bed and do something relaxing again until you get sleepy.
- Create a tranquil environment where you sleep. Typically this means three things: quiet, dark, and cool. It could help to sleep with a fan on or some other kind of white noise. Maybe sleeping with an eye mask or earplugs will help you.
- Avoid screens and other forms of artificial illumination at night. Harvard describes blue light as, “beneficial during daylight hours because they boost attention, reaction times, and mood—seem to be the most disruptive at night. And the proliferation of electronics with screens, as well as energy-efficient lighting, is increasing our exposure to blue wavelengths, especially after sundown.”
- Getting moving during the day! Physical activity during the day will help you establish positive sleep habits.
- Manage your stress. There are countless ways to deal with your stress, but one quick way is to lightly journal before you lay down to sleep. Get your thoughts on the day or whatever is on your mind on paper and out of your head, so that you can go to sleep worry-free.
- Mediate! Meditation is an amazing way to lull your body into sleep, as well as getting into a healthier mindset for whatever you need to do. Headspace has a great primer on the benefits of meditating before bed.
Another way that can help you with getting a healthy amount of sleep is taking a supplement like BodyK’s Stress Support Complex. Another option we have available are our Boost Boxes such as the Unwind Boost Box or the Zzz Boost Box.